ISO 9001 sets out the requirements for a quality management system. It helps businesses and organizations be more efficient and improve customer satisfaction. If your organization is downstream to a large client, you may be required to obtain ISO certification by the client. Implementing ISO does not require certification. Nor does it require outside assistance to implement. Many Manex manufacturers obtain ISO certifications in order to gain new business rather than comply with existing business. Often, ISO certifications are framed in the company lobby, appear on websites, brochures, and other material. The obvious message is “we have a quality management system” and we can meet your quality needs.
In this case study, we illustrate an actual example of the impact of implementing ISO 9001.
Since 1969, Scandic has been a leader in coil springs, four-slide stampings, precision progressive stampings, and CNC wire forming. Scandic is the largest spring and stamping company in Northern California, and their team includes multiple engineers, tool and die makers, and veteran technicians who understand all spring materials. Scandic makes parts including battery contacts, EMI shielding, ESD contacts, spring clips, latches and retainers, Belleville washers and more. Scandic has particular expertise in working with spring materials such as beryllium copper, which are heat-treated after forming to attain their highest spring temper.
Scandic’s clients are requesting that they acquire ISO 9001 certification to maintain their current business and to be awarded future contracts. Additionally, Scandic is looking for ways of becoming Lean, in particular with their high-running product lines.
Scandic approached Manex in 2011 to implement the following projects:
- Element 1 was the creation of a value stream map of their current operations for one high-production product family.
- Element 2 was the creation of a ISO 9001:2008 quality management system, resulting in ISO 9001 certification.
- Element 3 was the facilitation of two practical problem-solving (Kaizen) events geared towards improving the value stream as mapped out in Element 1.
Our process included:
- Value stream map of the current state and development of the future state and roadmap for improvements
- Complete ISO 9001:2008 quality management system creation and compliance training for key personnel
- Using the DMAIC process to address changeover reduction and cosmetic quality problems (i.e. the two major opportunities identified from the value stream map)
- Current and future state value stream maps were created, with 16 specific improvement actions identified, two of which became Kaizen events
- ISO 9001:2008 certification was achieved in June 2013 enabling Scandic to both maintain and win new business with key accounts
- Changeover reduction Kaizen event resulted in purchasing a new 165-ton servo punch press
- Cosmetic quality Kaizen event utilized a four-factor design of experiments, resulting in creating a new process for in-process product cleaning for a high production product family. This cleaning process has been so successful that it is now used to eliminate the occurrence of similar cosmetic quality issues on a wide variety of products at Scandic
- Increase Sales by $1,125,000.00
- Retained current clients and associated sales of $475,000.00
- Investment in plant and equipment to date of $340,000.00
- Realized cost savings to date of $257,400.00
- Investment in new products & processes to date of $84,500.00
- Investment in workforce practices of $65,000.00
- Increased employment headcount by 1 direct labor worker
- Investment in information systems to date of $200.00
The Manex team was key to our achieving ISO 9001:2008 certification, but they brought much more than just ISO consulting. Manex operated as a fresh set of eyes to our 40-year old processes and spotted opportunities that we were not seeing. Greg and Jeffrey taught us the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle and showed how tools like this could apply all across our company. As a result of Manex’s patient and thorough consulting with us, we are a leaner and more profitable business and we have a new sense of where the hidden savings are. – Hale Foote, President, Scandic Springs, Inc.