Client Business Need
With heightened demand and intensified competition, Westcor, a division of Vicor, was looking for ways to simplify and streamline its manufacturing processes of more than 800 models of configurable power supplies.
To increase quality controls and simplify assembly methods, Manex introduced Lean Manufacturing concepts using a five-day cellular/flow Kaizen Event that included immediate hands-on participation of the manufacturing line. Within the event, the overall work area was reengineered to improve cycle time, work-in-process inventory levels, workflow balance, and access to parts. This resulted in the freeing up of capital equipment in two lines and the elimination of three workstations (from eight to five).
Significant results include:
- 80% improvement in cycle time
- 71% reduction in work-in-process inventory
- $80,000 – $120,000 in labor savings
- $18,000 savings in capital equipment
- Established a new culture of employee motivation, involvement, and empowerment.